Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Week 1 of FATE

FATE, by definition, is something ethereal, something beyond comprehension and complex, in fact, it takes three Greek goddesses to run the whole thing.

(taken from ohmydisney.com, https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2013/10/22/fates-whats-the-matter-with-everything/)

The game FATE, by happy circumstance, is less complex and daunting and is actually quite fun and addicting!

Here is a quick video to introduce you!

This role-playing game takes place is a small town and as you acquaint yourself with townsfolk, you can accept quests that lead you deep into the dungeons. The game play itself, known as a "dungeon crawler", progressively takes you through levels of the dungeon, slowly revealing itself, and with it monsters, mazes and challenges. As you choose quests, find objects (weapons, potions, spells, gems), and battle monsters, you gain skill points and slowly get closer and closer to your fate!

Pretty intense eh?

FATE cover art

(taken from Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fate_(video_game))

But quite honestly, the play itself is very easy. Simple maneuvering is done with keyboard and mouse controls. While this game doesn't provide any sense of virtual community (in the sense that there are no other players to interact with, all are computer-controlled and virtual), it does provide a complex and deep virtual environment that you can spend hours exploring, something groundbreaking for such an old game. Yee (2014) says, "...for some players, the sense of being transported into a living, breathing fantasy world is in and of itself already incredibly appealing." And FATE provides that. Maps and dungeon monsters and layout change frequently and no two times down there are the same. Monsters regenerate over time and keep you entertained.

As far as an education value, so far the thing I have seen the most of is the economic value when it comes to trading and buying and selling items. You only get so much, and each quest provides you with gold, experience, or another item. You can sell and trade these things for what you need, but dying in the dungeon (which I've done a few times) robs you of skill or gold. So, educationally, there is value in knowing how to budget.

So far, this game has been really fun! I'm gained a few levels of experience, and am grateful for my pet dog, which honestly, attacks monsters for me and that is it. I know there is a series of commands and things I can have him do, but I'm not there yet. I can also fish, which I love to do in real-life, but I haven't tried that yet! I am conference calling my brother this weekend to have him talk me through some things!

What will my FATE next week be?

No comments:

Post a Comment