Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Week 3 of FATE--Just Like Magic!!!

Since my quest to discover and change my FATE largely reflects that of Hades in the Disney Movie "Hercules", (should that stop me? I mean, the guy was a villian with some serious sibling rivalry issues...eh, FATE is too fun), here is a summary of my play this week!


I am really starting to play well in this game. But this week threw a challenge at me that I wasn't expecting, and it got me pretty fired up.

Ha! Hades. "Fired up"

Anyone?



Anyone?

Okay.

You guys...I learned magic! I got deep into the dungeon (Level 10), deeper than I'd ever been, and I found this little scroll. I picked it up and there was a spell on it! I didn't even know I could do stuff like cast spells and what have you.



Apparently I am equipped with a spellbook that can hold a certain number of attack spells, defensive spells, and summoning spells. Attack spells are cast and can damage opponents. Defensive spells allow me to run away (which I do a lot of sometimes), heal myself (probably the most used), and even knockback enemies. Summoning spells allow me to summon things like portals, maps, and even animals to help me. 

Check it out! This may be cheesy, but I picked rats as my animal to summon.




Cheesy. Rats. Anyone?



Sorry. 

Once I learned my first spell, I became intrinsically motivated to learn more magic. This motivation dabbled a little in most of the elements of intrinsic motivation taught by Malone & Lepper (1987).

Challenge--Learning magic, as I soon found out, takes time and sacrifice. Instead of adding skill points to my strength or vitality, I had to add them to magic. The more skill, the more you can do. 
The real challenge came from defeating magical bosses, thus acquiring magical skills, magical items, 
and even spells. There were even some very difficult magical quests that I had to undertake.

Where to apply points?

Getting spells!


Goals--These were mainly emergent, since I made them myself. I wanted to learn how to call down fire from the sky to on my opponents (oh yeah, its a thing!) or to heal myself. These goals kept me going again and again at difficult dungeons and opponents.

Heal myself? Yes please.

Fire from the sky!



Goodness, gracious! Great balls of fire! (I may or may not, but most certainly do sing this when I shoot one!)

Uncertain Outcomes--This always poked its head around while playing. Sometimes, I would die three times before finally defeating a magical boss, only to have him drop some gold and a weapon. No spells. No points. It was a gamble, and it became motivation to keep seeking them out.

Self-Esteem--I can't lie about this. Once I had acquired some cool spells, got myself a cool wizard staff, I felt pretty awesome running around dungeons, shooting fireballs and healing myself.

Think I can pass as Gandalf? The answer is "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"




No comments:

Post a Comment